Chez INWAP Computers
The house LAN
We have three hubs for twisted-pair ethernet.
At one end of the house are the O'Halloran
computers, and the second ethernet on John's Win95 PC is connected to
the cable modem. The other end of the house has the
Smith computers, connected to his work LAN via
PPP. Out in the garage are several off-line computers.
John's Pentium has two ethernet cards: one is connected to the house LAN,
the other is connected to the cable modem.
We use the Sambar proxy server on
to allow the other computers in the house to access web sites at cable modem
speeds (in excess of 500 Kbits per second). The sambar server on
our home computer is also used
to keep www.inwap.com/reboot/ from
hitting its limit of 200 megabytes per day.
These live out in the garage, and have not been powered on for many years.
- DEC VT180 "Robin" Z80 based CP/M
- DEC VK100 "Gigi" (graphics terminal with Microsoft Basic in ROM)
- IBM XT and CGA monitor bought for $50
- Sinclair ZX-80 (kept just for yuks)
- various other PC clones parts that John has in the garage
- miscellaneous unused dot-matrix printers
- unused modems (9600, 2400, 1200, and acoustic couplers)
Back to the INWAP home page.