ReBoot Episode 11 (1_11) (code 9416)
Note: YTV listed this as "Talent Night in Hell", although the episode itself
says "Talent Night". In the Canadian version, the YTV robot
shows up. In the US, the big red robot does not have a logo on its chest.
Dot and Bob have a surprise birthday party planned for Enzo. With all the
commotion going on, Megabyte wants to get into the act.
- Written by
- Lane Raichert
- Story by
- Gavin Blair, Phil Mitchell, Ian Pearson
- Fancy guitar work by
- a guy local to Vancouver
- Song "You're Alphanumeric" written by
- Robert Buckley
The story opens with Bob and Enzo playing a game against a couple of binomes.
"You're smoke" says Enzo. "In your dreams, birthday boy", replies Bob.
(This scene is included in "The Recording Session #2", a QuickTime movie.)
The game ends in a four-way tie. Enzo goes on ahead while Bob checks up
on Dot. Dot is in the middle of auditioning acts for the surprise party
she is holding for Enzo's birthday.
Things are not going well. Most of the acts are awful, and the interesting
ones are nixed by Miss Emma Fee, the Prog Sensor. Dot tells Bob to keep Enzo
busy until 24:50. The acts being auditioned are:
Megabyte notices the activity and tries to get information out of Bob (who
throws Enzo into the goal of a rocket-pack game to keep Enzo from hearing
about the secret activity). MB sends some of his incompetent spies to check
out the commotion around Dot's Diner. They end up being part of the act.
MB is rather pleased to hear that all those people will be gathered in one
place - he decides to put into action "plan code 214".
- "the fabulous, uh, acrobat guys". The One with its hair in an Afro style
is launched into the stratosphere. (His comment to this is something like
"oo, er", and background is a great shot of Mainframe's Baudway sector.)
- A Zero that bugs its eyes and falls to pieces.
- The Dires, Sal and Harv, rather primative looking characters that Mike
- Johnny O'Binome, who does a joke of nothing but "1" and "0".
- Live Null Juggling (clown on red unicycle treats nulls as if they were
balloons and twists them into funny shapes).
- Phong singing "Unforgettable" and forgetting the unforgettable words.
- Small-Town Binomes singing "B.S.'n'P." (to the tune of the Village People's
"Y.M.C.A"). "It's fun to play in a non-violent way".
- The Primatives: a blue sphere, a green cube, and a red cone.
(At the end, the cube rotates to a diamond shape, the cone flattens to
a triangle covering the top half of the diamond, and the sphere becomes
a circle behind them. They form a ReBoot icon.)
- Captain Quirk, doing William Shatner's rendition of "Rocket Man".
- One of Megabyte's viral binome's doing break dancing and moonwalking.
Meanwhile, Bob takes Enzo to the Data Slides in the Beverly Hills sector.
Enzo is tired and hungry, and wants to go back to the Diner. As he takes off
on his zip-board, the guy with the Afro comes down, and Bob says "oo, er!"
The street near the Diner is filled with just about every single vehicle in
Mainframe. (Some of these are shown in Alliance's Motor Pool,
others can be found by Parsing Mainframe's Database; look for the Data Crane.)
Enzo wanders backstage, past the fat Elvis, past the water-cooler sprite (who
is speaking Robby the Robot's line from the movie Forbidden Planet:
"would 64 gallons be sufficient"), past the big red robot, and on to the stage.
Everybody is there, and is counting down the time left. Right at zero,
sparklies start at Enzo's feet, and he gets a new outfit. His shirt says
10 instead of 01. Dot comes out in a torch-singer outfit and performs
"You're Alphanumeric" to a slack-jawed Bob and Enzo.
The fat Elvis gets ready for Aloha from Mainframe via Satellite, but gets
flattened when Megabyte crashes the party (literally). Two A.B.C.s (Armored
Binome Carriers) transform into giant speakers, and Megabyte comes out of
a coffin held up by skeleton hands. (Hack and Slash are his drummers.)
He pulls out a guitar, and turns the volume up to eleven.
Bob counters by telling Glitch to transform into a BFG (Big Fancy Guitar).
The two men perform a wild guitar duet. At the end, MB gives his guitar
to Enzo, and says "I've always wanted to do that". As MB's gigantic
armored limo leaves, Mike the TV tells the crowd "Ladies and gentlemen,
Megabyte has left the building". (Fat Elvis pops up and looks astounded.)
The binome joke, Dot's singing and the guitar duel from this episode are on the
CD-ROM that comes with the action figures.
(See also the quotes for episode 201)
- This episode shows the Data Slide in the Beverly Hills sector. A
second Data Slide just like it gets created in "Identity Crisis, part 2".
- Dot says "I like the red, not the blue" when picking out her dress.
- Small town = Village, Binomes = People.
- The sound of old Star Trek sliding doors as Captain Quirk's toupee falls.
- Dot's outfit is very similar to the dress worn by Marilyn Monroe when
she sang "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" to John F. Kennedy.
- There is no concensus as to which rock star Megabyte is imitating. Could
be Megadeath, Meatloaf, or any one of several other bands. One fan
says "Poison" (based onf the glowing green highlights).
- The guitar duel matches the musical style of one at the end of the
- Someone said they saw Megabyte missing his green chest logo during his
guitar solo on the first showing of the Canadian version. (In Canada,
the big red robot has "YTV" on its chest. The version shown on ABC does
not have "YTV".) The missing logo is there on the reruns; BLT has been
known to fix mistakes between the first showing and the first repeat.
- Piano player could be Liberacci.
- In the audience, there are about four binomes repeated, and in a few
scenes they made a mistake and put about twenty "yellow eyelass" binomes
in a small group and twenty "Touques" together too.
page 39 of 129
Maintained by Joe Smith